My story; How rain beat me when I was learning to walk in faith

Believing in God will make the blessing real in your life.
Back in the days when Winners’ Chapel came to Ghana, my friends and I were young enthusiast for Christ and so we were eager to join because of the testimonies we heard. The church grew like how an elephant’s baby grows, in leaps. We were fellowship members and wanted to know what made these strange people tick.

I quite remember how most churches became empty overnight because their members had left them for the new sensation in town. What even puzzled me was the numbers, because the church grew astronomically. I remember their main message was faith. They always preached about faith and criticized our Ghanaian pastors and even bragged about how their Bishop was more powerful than our Archbishop. Ei, this Nigerians! I joined because I wanted to be rich too. When I went to church, my pastor used to lament bitterly, ‘we have provided chairs and roof to cover their heads but they go to those Nigerian churches and stand for long hours only to have the sun beat their foreheads!’. I looked at my pastor and thought silently, ‘but pastor, I want to be rich too, you have too much unbelief look at even the way you are talking negative!'. Most of the charismatic churches collapsed during that time or were left half full. I saw one awayo church immediately beside Winners’ Chapel, so empty and lonely!



The message of faith

The Nigerian pastors at Winners’ Chapel preached about faith and this changed the way they treated most subjects on sickness and money. For instance, when you are broke you don’t have to say it. So we asked them how we should communicate it, this is what they taught us, ‘when you are broke and you want to borrow money, if you let it come out of your mouth that you are indeed broke you will never be rich. Jesus has taken your poverty away because bible says he became poor that you too will become rich. Now even when broke tell the person that you are not broke but you need money’.  But this looked absurd to us because nobody will loan you any money when you claim to have some! So when my head ached, I shall go to my guardian and say, ‘oh my head is not paining me at all’ then I shall make my face show how I was in pain. Funny. I tried to conform because I too wanted a miracle, a car.


This message about faith confused us and so we that didn’t get rich immediately as the Nigerian pastors promised, lost our patience and returned to our churches. I remember when it was raining and Rees, Celia and I said ‘by faith it will not rain’. But the rain wouldn’t have mercy on we young zealots and started to rain in torrents and being stubborn and trying to believe for the rain to stop we, continued with our faith confessions, ‘hallelujah it is not raining’. We were soaked like Gari that day.

The unanswered questions

Over the years faith preachers make it look like the moment you ‘faith’ your life changes instantly but in reality it is not so. Let me answer the questions below. 

The questions are,
  1. 1      When you believe does your life change instantly? 
  1. 2         When you don’t have money and you want to borrow must you say you are not broke when indeed you are?

My first answer to the number 1 question is yes and no. Hebrew says, ‘Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (11:1). The word faith in Strong’s Hebrew and Greek dictionary is ‘pistis’ it connotes persuasion, moral conviction, especially reliance on Christ. This implies that you trust in God so that you rely on him for things that are not available physically. Those things however are available to us spiritually as the book of Ephesians confirmed, ‘Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: (1:3).

So our blessings are inherited spiritually but we have to ‘faith’ to make it manifest physically. Every believer is already rich and free from sickness but this is spiritual. Your faith will make it become real in your life. I said yes to the answer because your life changes instantly in the spiritual and no because physically your life stays the same. Miracles start to happen when you put your faith to work. However, some are privileged to have their miracles instantly.

The second question; when you are walking by faith you have to ‘believe in your heart and confess with your mouth’ so that you will receive what you hoped for. Positive confession or confessing the word of God is very important. When the thing is not there you say it is there so that God will make the ‘salvation’ happen.  The bible teaches us a lot about saying positive things, because what you say often comes to pass in your life. Scripture says, ‘thou shall have whatever thou sayest’. Other scripture also affirms that ‘we shall eat the fruit of our mouth’.  This is why when you meet a true believer, he confesses I am rich not because the money is there but firstly he believes that Jesus has made him already rich and secondly, he is confessing it so that he will see it materialize in his life. If you have the riches physically too and you confess it negatively, you are reversing your riches.  Looking at those who are confessing the word today, you might see nothing but watch their tomorrow and you will their beautiful life.


So, when you don’t have money, you can say it wisely like, ‘Akwesi, I need some money today and I shall pay you tomorrow. What I am having now is not enough; I shall receive my salary in three days’ time’. Or, when you encounter a head ache and you want medicine, you say ‘doc, my head feels hot, can I have some Para?’ This is better than confessing in Toto that ‘doc, I am sick ooo, I am dying’. 


Believers are doers of the word. The book of Romans says, ‘God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar’ (3:4). If God said you were healed long ago it means you don’t have sickness now, what you see is not there. Don’t give place to the devil by affirming the negative. If you continue in faith like this, your life will transform over time and you will see things happen. 
 

Please share this article and thanks for reading.